Thursday, April 8, 2010

Americanizing Jesus?

Try visiting a church that does not speak your native language.

I know this may seem futile if you think that attending a church is all about the words that you hear. Granted, the words of songs and sermons may slip you by, but the awareness that our God is a great God, a God who bridges social, political, cultural, and linguistic barriers is overwhelming and becomes an ever present thought when you distance yourself from a familiar setting and visit a church with different traditions and a different language.

I cannot tell you how humbling it has been to be a part of Nueva Esperanza. I have learned so much about the Paraguayan people and about our God. I think many times we Americanize Jesus, thinking he must look a certain way or have acted in a way that fits our culture and our preferences. The people at our church are mostly first generation Christians (except the children, most of whom are second generation Christians) and live in the knowledge that they have been saved from their former selves. How refreshing to see people who so desperately want to learn more about the God they serve.

How thankful I am for the people of Nueva Esperanza and the new outlook they have given me.

1 comment:

  1. If this was a facebook post I would click the "like" button! :-)

    ReplyDelete